Seasonal Experiences FAQS



What are the seasonal experiences to choose from?

USA Summer camp and the USA Winter work and travel experience.


  • 18 – 27 years
  • 200 hours (about 1 week 1 and a half days) relevant work experience
  • South African Passport
  • Enrolled in University (Winter work and travel)
  • Commit for 3 months


What are the benefits of the seasonal experience?

  • Industry exposure
  • Personal growth
  • Skill development
  • Cultural exchange
  • Resume enhancement


Can you still apply if you don’t have a passport?

Certainly. While waiting for your passport from Home Affairs, one can apply.

Can you apply without a driver’s license? 
Yes, you do not need a driver’s license to teach English overseas.


Is there an age limit?

Yes. Between 20 – 26 years of age.


What type of references are required?

Two (2) references from non-family members to support the application. These are references of previous work experience such as previous childcare, tutoring or teaching experience.


How will interviews be conducted?

Online Teams interview, a Teams invitation link with be provided with all the details required to attend the interview.


How to prepare for the interview?

Strong internet connection and connect to the Teams link at least 15 minutes before the interview time. Sit in a quiet room with a clear background to ensure that there are no interruptions.

How long does it take to get placed with a hiring company?

Typically takes 4 – 6 weeks (about 1 and a half months). During this time one can interview multiple hiring companies before being placed.


Does one pay all the expenses upfront?

An R1,500 nonrefundable deposit to join the experience is paid on successful completion of interview. The balance of the fee is invoiced once matched with a school.

What travel destinations to choose from?

USA in both the Summer Camp and the Winter Work and Travel.

How long is the USA seasonal experience?

Summer Camp program runs for a duration of 8-10 weeks (about 2 and a half months) from May or June every year. While the USA winter work and travel start dates are anywhere from November/December – 15th March.

Are flights included in the fee?

Flights are not included in the experience fee. 


What type of visa is required?

J1 Visa student exchange visa.

What types of camps are available?

  • Private Camps: Privately owned and run by individuals or families
  • Non-Profit Camps: Owned and run by non-profit organizations and their oversight board.
  • Specialty Camps: Those dedicated to one specific activity or specialty
  • Special Needs Camps: Dedicated to children and adults with disabilities
  • Religious Camps: With a religious emphasis, primarily Christian and Jewish camps.
  • Single-Gender Camps: Those who cater to one gender, boys or girls.


What types of hiring companies are available for winter work and travel?

  • 5 Hotel Resorts
  • 5 Star Restaurants
  • Ski Shops
  • High end bars


Will the J1 receive full support when they are overseas?

Ongoing support is provided to ensure there is an easy transition overseas.