Is it for me?

  • 18 – 26 years old.
  • 200 hours of childcare experience
  • Commit for 9-12 weeks (May to August). Camp dates vary depending on specific camp.
  • Understand and speak English well
  • Be in good health. Only non-smokers are accepted.
  • Enjoys spending time in nature and outdoors.
  • A valid passport (or proof that you have applied for one).
  • No criminal record.


How will interviews be conducted?

  • Interviews will be held online using Microsoft Teams.


How to prepare for an interview?

  • Be punctual and ensure strong network connectivity prior to your interview.
  • Be prepared to answer questions about your work experience with children and your talents/hobbies you will be able to showcase at a camp.
  • Be enthusiastic.
  • Ask questions about the experience.


What type of references are required?

  • References from past work experience with children.


How long does it take to get placed at a Summer Camp?

  • It takes 4 -6 weeks to be matched with a camp.


What type of camp will I be placed in?

  • There are many different types of Summer Camps in the USA. You will be placed in one that aligns with your personal experience and skills. Camps include:
  • Private Camps: Privately owned and run by individuals or families.
  • Non-Profit Camps: Owned and run by non-profit organizations.
  • Specialty Camps: Dedicated to one specific activity or specialty.
  • Special Needs Camps: Dedicated to children and adults with disabilities.
  • Religious Camps: With a religious emphasis, primarily Christian and Jewish camps.
  • Single-Gender Camps: One gender, boys or girls.


When do payments need to be made to Hopscotch?

  • Sign up fee: After your interview, we will let you know if you have been accepted. If accepted, you have 7 days to pay the non-refundable R1500 sign-up fee.
  • Experience fee: Once you are placed with a host company, you will have 7 days to pay your experience fee.


Are payments refundable?

  • Hopscotch payments are non-refundable.


Type of Visa?

  • J1 cultural exchange visa.